2012年3月6日星期二

Food, Inc.: care for food?

Food, Inc.

The film's first segment examines the industrial production of meat (chicken, beef, and pork), calling it inhumane and economically and environmentally unsustainable. The second segment looks at the industrial production of grains and vegetables (primarily corn and soy beans), again labeling this economically and environmentally unsustainable. The film's third and final segment is about the economic and legal power, such as food libel laws of the major food companies, the profits of which are based on supplying cheap but contaminated food, the heavy use of petroleum-based chemicals (largely pesticides and fertilizers), and the promotion of unhealthy food consumption habits by the American public. It shows companies like Wal-Mart transitioning towards organic foods as that industry is booming in the recent health movement.                                                              –Wikipedia

Wow, wow, wow, are we in danger by consuming products from the supermarket? If that’s true, I don’t see any chance that we can change it, because bread is the staff of life. Without food, people cannot survive. If food is truly not safe, then I guess we ARE in danger, and each of us is committing chronic suicide.
When I was watching the trailer of the film, I realized what this film was about after I hear a producer saying “smells like money to me.” Yes, it is about an unbalanced market between money and human health. I believe this is due to the supply and demand issue in the market. The supply and demand are originally in equilibrium in the food market. However, since the population is increasing every year, the demand for food is increasing accordingly. The market cannot stay in unbalanced situation for too long. Producers have to react to the situation. I believe they love to increase the supply, because more demands means more profits. Therefore products that are easier and faster to grow have emerged. The market has finally been balanced again, but what we are consuming has changed a lot since then.

However, the question about this film is, to what extent, does this film reveal the truth? Is this film all about criticizing the food market? Does this film reveal anything good about the food market? Although I want to believe everything in this film, if it’s all talking about downside of the food market and nothing good about it, it’s hard for me to buy it completely. I still believe there is something good about food market. It’s like with the existence of the Joker, we always have Batman; but with the existence of Superman, we also have kryptonite.

The last thing I want to talk about is the food industry back in my country, China. I have no idea how threatening the “Food, Inc.” is going to be in terms of unhealthy matters to humans, but I can assure you the food problem in China, which I’m very worried about, is way worse than the situation in North America. Have you heard of toxic milk powder, fake eggs, and swill-cooked dirty oil? They are chilling!!




没有评论:

发表评论